AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- 1992, Supreme Court of Virginia; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia; U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- Virginia Business Magazine Legal Elite in the field of Criminal Law (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016).
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of A.V.
- AVVO Rating of 10.
- Coastal Virginia Magazine Top Lawyer (2015, 2016).
- Super Lawyer.
- Virginia State Bar (Member of Criminal Law and Litigation Sections).
- Council of the Virginia State Bar (Member at Large) (2015-present).
- Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board of the Virginia State Bar (2011-present).
- Virginia Beach Bar Association.
- Standing Committee on Lawyer Discipline (Vice Chair 2007-2008 and Member 2003-2009).
- Second District Disciplinary Committee (Chairman 2004-2006 and Member 2000-2006).
- “Representing Juveniles in Criminal Cases.” Panel Member. Virginia Beach Bar Association, Virginia Beach, Virginia (2014).
- “Identifying, Investigating and Prosecuting Hate Crimes.” Norfolk Field Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Virginia Beach, Virginia (2011).
- “The Essentials of and the Recent Trends in the Laws of Search and Seizure and Confessions.” Sole Speaker in Day-Long Seminar. Lorman Education Services, Baltimore, Maryland (2006).
- “Practice in the Circuit Courts of Virginia.” Virginia Indigent Defense Commission Certification Training, Virginia Beach, Virginia (2005).
- “Trial Advocacy I.” National College of District Attorneys, Columbia, South Carolina (faculty member of several week-long workshops for prosecutors, 1998-2000).
- “Commonwealth’s Attorneys’ Spring Training Seminar.” Virginia Beach, Virginia (1998, 2000).
- Virginia Beach Police Department In-Service. Virginia Beach, Virginia (1998).
- Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney, Virginia Beach, Virginia, 1998-2001.
- Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney, Virginia Beach, Virginia, 1993-1998.
- Associate, Glasser and Glasser, Norfolk, Virginia, 2002-2003.
- Certified by the Virginia Indigent Defense Commission to handle court appointed criminal defense representation in capital murder cases as lead counsel.
- Certified Guardian Ad Litem, Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Mentor, Seatack Elementary School, Virginia Beach, Virginia, 2006-2009.
- “The Repeal of the Cohabitation Statute and Child Custody Cases.” Virginia Lawyer, February 2014.
- “A Reply to Ethics Counsel’s Response.” Virginia Lawyer, February 2013.
- “Avoiding Perjury (Or at Least Pretending to): The Ethical Considerations in Determining What Witnesses to Call to the Stand in a Criminal Trial.” Virginia Lawyer, December 2012.
- “The U.S. Supreme Court and the Fourth Amendment: Laying the Groundwork for a Radical Shift in the Law of Search and Seizure.” Virginia Bar Association News Journal, Spring 2010. Reprinted in True Bill, journal of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Criminal Justice Section (June 2010).
- “The Fifth Amendment Privilege Against Self-Incrimination in Civil Cases.” Virginia Lawyer, December 2009. Co-Author with D.L. Arnold.
- “Another Broadside on Miranda: The 2003-2004 U.S. Supreme Court Term and the Fifth Amendment Privilege Against Self-Incrimination.” Virginia Lawyer, October 2004. Co-Author with D.L. Arnold.
- “Another View: End the Appearance of Impropriety.” The Virginian-Pilot, February 7, 1996.
- “Double Jeopardy in Successive Prosecutions.” The Prosecutor, Fall 1992 and Criminal Justice Journal, Fall 1992. Co-Author with W.J. Brudzinski.